What Are The Benefits Of Automating Healthcare Data Entry Processes?
- Tech

What are the Benefits of Automating Healthcare Data Entry Processes?

Despite the accessibility of employer-provided devices in the workplace, 26 and 39 percent of staff say they’re still manually entering healthcare data. Just 25 percent say they’re using mobile devices to access medical data, and 42 percent said patient information systems were not well-integrated. Overall, staff said 56 percent of their time is spent accessing or updating patient records.

Put? Healthcare data entry remains time-consuming and cumbersome even as technology adoption becomes commonplace. However, data entry automation can help streamline this practice — here’s a look at how this process works and can benefit your business.

What Is Healthcare Data Entry Automation?

Healthcare data entry automation is the implementation of tools and technologies designed to digitally capture key patient data and enter this data into existing healthcare record systems.

There are multiple ways to implement data entry automation. For example, organizations may deploy optical reading solutions to scan paper documents and convert relevant data into digital assets. Or, they may rely on purpose-built tools designed to pull key data from electronic patient records and ensure it is available to staff and clinicians on-demand.

Regardless of the form, however, the function of data entry automation remains the same: increasing accuracy while reducing the total amount of resources required.

The Benefits of Automating Healthcare Data Entry

Some of the top benefits of automating health data entry include:

  • Reduced error rates: Even experienced and well-trained staff make data entry mistakes. It’s human nature — we’re not equipped to spend all day staring at screens and entering information. Automated tools have no such constraints. Instead, they execute functions as designed for as long as required, without the risk of fatigue or forgetfulness. While automation tools can’t match humans’ decision-making ability, they’re a great way to reduce data entry error rates.
  • Enhanced cost control: Fewer errors means less time spent backtracking to fix data entry mistakes or discovering where data wasn’t properly entered — and less time spent means less money required to ensure data is accurate and complete.
  • Improved patient relationships: With 56 percent of their time spent updating and inputting records, this leaves just 44 percent for staff to interact with patients. By removing the need for doctors, nurses, and other medical staff to enter data manually, they gain more time to connect with patients, build relationships and effectively address health concerns.
  • Accelerated data analytics: The sheer volume of health data now collected as part of even routine examinations makes it possible for businesses to gain critical insight into patient demographics, illness trends, and effective courses of action — if they can effectively analyze stored data.
See also  Internet of Medical Things

Automated collection and entry is the first step in this journey: Once health data is stored and secured in a centrally accessible database, organizations can apply advanced analytics to deliver actionable results.

Making the Most of Automated Data Entry

Ready to make a move to automated data entry? Start with a business process improvement (BPI) assessment to determine where current processes are working as intended, where they need to change, and where automated data entry can make the biggest difference to patient satisfaction — and your bottom line.


Author bio: Joanna Sobran is President and CEO of MXOtech. Sobran has unique and vast experience in the IT industry. For over a decade, she has focused on delivering a high-level customer experience with innovation. She has created a niche for MXOtech by approaching each client’s business individually, with creative technology solutions crafted specifically to address its issues. Whether it’s through using better technology solutions, improving operations, or education, Sobran treasures her clients and truly cares about their success.

What Are The Benefits Of Automating Healthcare Data Entry Processes?

close
Exploring the Innovations Shaping Digital Health

Join the Club

Every week, we'll be sending you curated materials handpicked for Digital Health Professionals - open calls, accelerator deadlines, and more... 

Plus, you'll be the first to know about our discounts!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.